German bobsledder Richard Adjei wins silver at Winter Games

Germany's gold-silver finish in Sunday's two-man bobsleigh only reinforced the perception that the country dominates sliding sports.

Silver medal-winning brakeman Richard Adjei hopes his skin colour helps to change a different perception.

"I want to show people, hey, Germany changed," said Adjei, the 27-year-old son of a German father and Ghanaian mother. "A lot of people still think Germany's mean and bad, you know? I'm half white, half black, I'm at the Games, representing my country and I'm proud.

"When I do sport, and compete well, they say, 'Germany's changed.'"

The Dusseldorf-raised brakeman is in his first Olympics. He's a former linebacker for the Berlin Thunder in the now-defunct NFL Europe and shifted to bobsleigh in 2007. Despite having played in front of 50,000 football fans, he said seeing the crowd and all the German flags made him nervous Sunday.

Read full story at The Vancouver Sun

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form